25 Best British Films of the Crime and Gangster genre....and one so Bad it's Brilliant.
Compiling a list of Best British Films whatever the genre is not a perfect science, ranking them in preference order even less so.
If you’re thinking why the hell did I include that or why the hell I haven’t included that? Then send me an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and tell us your best British gangster films!
From the list two acting performances really stick in my mind, Ben Kingsley’s psychotic performance as Don Logan in ‘Sexy Beast’ and Bob Hoskin’s portrayal of Gangland Boss Harold Shand in ‘The Long Good Friday’
Funnily enough I kept avoiding watching ‘Sexy Best’ as I didn't believe that the guy who played ‘Ghandi’ could play a Cockney gangster, how wrong was I?!
25) Rise of the Footsoldier (2007) dr. Julian Gilbey
24) The Krays (1990) dr. Peter Medak
23) Down Terrace (2009) dr. Ben Wheatley
22) London to Brighton (2006) dr. Paul Andrew Williams
21) Piggy (2012) dr. Kieron Hawkes
20) Kidulthood (2006) dr. Menhaj Huda
19) Adulthood (2008) dr. Noel Clarke
18) Brighton Rock (1947) dr. John Boulting
17) McVicar (1980) dr. Tom Clegg
16) Gangster No1 (2000) dr. Paul McGuigan
15) Essex Boys (2000) dr. Terry Winsor
14) In Bruges (2008) dr. Martin McDonagh
13) The Business (2005) dr. Nick Love
12) Love Honour and Obey (2000) dr. Dominic Anciano
11) The Football Factory (2004) dr. Nick Love
10)The Escapist (2008) dr. Rupert Wyatt
9) Bronson (2008) dr. Nicolas Winding Refn
8) Scum (1979) dr. Alan Clarke
7) Snatch (2000) dr. Guy Ritchie
6) Lock Stock & Two Smoking Barrels (1998) dr. Guy Ritchie
5) Layer Cake (2004) dr. Matthew Vaughn
4) Get Carter (1971) dr. Mike Hodges
3) The Italian Job (1969) dr. Peter Collinson
2) Sexy Beast (2000) dr. Jonathan Glazer
1) The Long Good Friday (1980) John Mackenzie
And finally there should be a mention for the worst British Gangster Film. A film that's so bad it would have trouble qualifying as a Z Movie let alone a B movie. Let’s set the scene, you come home with your mates after a night on the lash clutching a large fat dripping Donar Kebab with extra chili sauce, you want something to wash it down with so someone slips in a DVD, and there it is in full 1080p ‘Killer Bitch’. A film so bad it’s Brilliant!
Killer Bitch (2010) dr. Liam Galvin
COMING SOON - 'THE GUVNORS' (This British Gangster/Crime films is looking like a must see!)
Check out our Top 20 British Horror & Top 69 British Drama films