Stuart Wright talks with Senior Lecturer in Film & American Studies, Dr Sorcha Ni Fhlainn about 5 Great British Horror Films.
Senior Lecturer in Film and American Studies at Manchester Metropolitan University Dr Sorcha Ni Fhlainn, talks Clive Barker and 5 Great British Horror Films, with Stuart Wright on the latest BritFlicks Podcast..
1) Horror of Dracula (1958)
2) The Wicker Man (1973)
3) Hellraiser (1987)
4) Ghostwatch (1992)
5) 28 Days Later (2002)
Dr Sorcha Ni Fhlainn is a Senior Lecturer in Film Studies and American Studies, and a founding member of the Manchester centre for Gothic Studies at Manchester Metropolitan University.
Event coming up - The Gothic 1980s: The decade that scared us.
The Gothic 1980s Symposium - Saturday 8th June 2019, Manchester.
Topics may include but are not limited to:
· The 1980s and Postmodern Gothic
· The ‘serial killer’ decade in popular culture (TV culture, cases, Ramirez, Bundy, Nilsen etc.)
· Gothic politics (i.e. neoliberalism/deregulation etc)
· Remaking (and revisiting) 1980s films and aesthetics today
· 1980s film and TV industry practices (sequels, mini-series, film to TV adaptations etc)
· Explicit versus implicit Gothic horror/terror
· Gothic Literature of the 1980s
· Film and TV adaptations of 1980s texts
· 80s Gothic music and subcultures
· Nostalgia for 1980s Gothic programming
· Analogue vs digital Gothics (including VHS culture)
· Gothic games (i.e board games/computer games etc)
· Film franchises/reboots/remakes
· 80s Fantasy Gothics
Manchester Centre for Gothic Studies: www2.mmu.ac.uk/english/gothic-studies/